A Beginner's Guide to Maple's Landing
- Welcome Post
- Important Topics/ Rules
- Character creation
- Applying for a shop and/or a home
- Activity checks
- Other important notes
Hello there, and welcome to Maple's Landing! If you're reading this, you're probably just getting started role playing here. It might feel a bit overwhelming at first, but don't worry-- we're here to help! The staff has taken the time to write up this guide just for you, not only to help guide you on how to get started, but to make you feel more at home in this wonderful community. It is our hope that you will find the Landing to be a fun, interesting role play experience, and that you will add to it!
Rules and other important topics
Below are some links that will direct you to some important topics that you should look through. Included are forum rules, RP do's and don'ts, character guides and much more. It's your one-stop spot for all the information you'll need!
- Forum Rules This should be the first topic you check out, and the one you remember most. The forum rules are there to help keep Maple's Landing fun for everyone, so make certain you read and follow all of them!
- Maple's Landing - Main Plot This topic will help to better explain the setting of the role play, and make it easier for your character to fit in with the rest of the community. While it is not required for your character to know the town's history, it is highly recommended that all members do.
- RP Do's and Don'ts A quick guide featuring some tips on how to become a better role player. Give it a read, and you might just pick up something new.
- Relationship Guide A short guide to briefly explain the steps to getting your character married!
Now that we've covered the most important stuff, it's time to move onto the best part!
You need a character in order to participate in the role play! To start creating your first character, click this link to the Character Creation Template Thread
This link will guide you through the process of making a character and how to submit it. If you feel it necessary to skip this step, click this link to go directly a post page where you can begin creating your character: Character Creation Post Page
While we definitely suggest you read through all of the information given to you there, if you don't feel like reading it then here are a few things to help make your profile special:
- Be as creative as possible! The more effort you put into describing your character, the better people will be able to understand them. This can make for much easier plotting in the future!
- Find a picture that bests suits your character's appearance Good descriptions can make all the difference, but a picture is worth a thousand words. Sometimes it's simply better to have a visual representation of your character.
- Give your character a decent, believable backstory. As stated previously, the better people are able to understand your character, the easier it will be for them to plot and interact with you. Try to be realistic when writing backstories, but if you're feeling like trying something different or new, don't hesitate to do a bit of research on things that may be relevant to your character's backstory.
- Have fun with your character! Try to make them unique! While nice, friendly characters are always good to have around, they don't really stand out if they're always happy. Change up the formula a bit. Give them quirks and flaws! The more varied your character, the more fun it will be to plot future interactions between them and others.
With your character done, they're going to need a place to live! Or perhaps they want to set up a shop and make some money that way? Read on for more information!
Setting up a new house or shop
Everyone in the Landing needs a place to call home. Luckily there are plenty of options for them!Maple's Landing Housing GuideIf you would like for your character to get their own place,
simply follow the steps in this guide, and you'll be one step closer to settling in the Landing!
Alternatively, your character can choose to stay at the town inn
, or if they have absolutely no money to their name, the church
has a space dedicated to providing shelter for the homeless until they can get back on their feet!If you want a shop,
it's just as easy as applying for a house, because it's basically the same process. Click the link below to be taken to the shop guide:Maple's Landing Shop Guide
You may also choose to have your character work at a previously-established business that is owned by another character. This should be plotted between you and the player who owns that business. Please refer to the Maple's Landing Shop Guide
to see who’s hiring!
If you apply for either a home or a shop, simply alert an admin or moderator, and wait for their approval! If your application was rejected, the staff will inform you of why, and will give you advice on how to fix it.
Once every few months, we hold activity checks on Maple’s Landing! This is to keep the town ledger and the gender count updated and accurate. The process is quite simple, and all you need to do is reply to the activity check thread to let the staff know which of your characters are still active. At this time, you may also choose to retire (or put on hiatus) any of your characters.
If you were away from the site during an activity check or your characters were marked as inactive, do not worry! All characters are simply archived, not deleted, and you may notify any staff member to pull your character and any related threads (mailboxes, journals, etc.) from the archives for you.
Other Important Notes
If you've reached this point, congratulations! You are now officially ready to jump in and start role playing! Remember, if you have any questions at all, don't be afraid to ask an administrator or a moderator. They are here to help, after all, and would be happy to give you a few pointers if you need them!
Thank you for taking the time to read, and we look forward to seeing you around the Landing!
ML STAFFLast Updated: June 11th, 2016